EOF has partnered with Candid to improve and grow the data they collect so that our members — and their non-profit partners — can gain new insights about the economic security funding landscape in the United States.
Why It Matters
Candid – the nonprofit organization created when Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces – has a mission of getting you the information you need to do good.
In support of this mission, Candid structures, cleans, and codes data so the sector has the best information to act on. Publicly available information, including tax filings, is one of Candid’s sources. But this alone is not enough to answer your questions and the questions asked by our nonprofit field partners. Too often this data is old and of poor quality, providing little insights into what is happening today.
If we want to be well-informed, relevant, and responsive, we must have additional data on which we can all rely–and it starts with organizations sharing current and complete data.
Tell your grantmaking story quickly and easily. By becoming a data sharing partner, you:
- Take control of how your grantmaking is represented;
- Ensure the sector has the best information to act on;
- Demonstrate your commitment to transparency and accountability; and
- Improve your organization’s internal data collection and management processes.
Join hundreds of other foundations that are already sharing their grantmaking data with Candid.
How You Can Support this Effort
To share your grants data all you need to do is:
- Export a complete list of your most recent grants data in a spreadsheet following this template or by simply exporting the relevant fields from your own grants management software system. Candid’s Software Partners page includes instructions for how to export data according to Candid’s format from several widely used systems.
- Email your grants file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you get started, please ensure that you have access to all of the required data elements (most of which would be included in your 990 grants list):
- Recipient name
- Recipient street address
- Recipient city
- Recipient state/province
- Recipient country
- Amount type (paid or authorized)
- Fiscal year
- Grant description
Candid’s grants data standard includes required, highly recommended, and optional fields, so we encourage you to review their detailed data submission instructions to decide which information you’d like to share.
Contact Candid at email@example.com with any questions.